Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bumbershoot Prep Part 1

Attempting a level of wisdom that I failed to possess when I attended this incredible music and arts festival in 2009, this weekend I decided to familiarize myself a bit more with the typically avant garde musical line-up. Bumbershoot features a vast array of talented musicians from practically every genre including country, rock, alternative, pop, rap/hip-hop, electronic dance, blues, R&B, world, classical, and reggae. So I must admit that I'm certainly not acquainted with many of the acts that will be performing Labor Day weekend.

So like any devoted music lover, I spent a considerable amount of time on iTunes this weekend and either browsed or downloaded music from over 120 different performers. So prior to departing for the rainy city, I'll attempt to feature as many musicians as possible. With readers this month in 18 different countries, perhaps this blog may help these acts gain exposure that they may not have had otherwise.

Today I'd like to feature Ray LaMontagne, an extremely talented singer/songwriter who is perhaps a little more well known than many of the other musicians performing this year. Ray's Grammy winning raspy vocals and captivating story telling speak for themselves. I've enjoyed listening to Ray while sitting poolside this afternoon. I would describe this music as New England flavored, country tinged, folk music much in the same vein as The Band, who began as Dylan's backup and later evolved into a world renowned act and one of the greatest influences on 1970's style country/blues rock.


Here is a YouTube video of Ray LaMontagne performing the gold album acheiving "Trouble", a video that speaks a million words.



No comments: