Saturday, December 17, 2011

The 12 (now 14) Songs of Christmas


On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me........

Enough of that, I desire to write something a little different this year as well as offer a holiday listening treat so may I present the 12 songs of Christmas, not the typical yuletide melodies but something a little more unique, a bit out of the box and extraordinary.

1) On the first day of Christmas my editor gave to me, SisterBrother's  - "We Three Kings"
Enjoy this extremely original rendition of one of my personal holiday favorites recorded by one of today's hottest acts, SisterBrother, a unique indie duo formed by brother and sister-in law, Nathan Horst and Suzanna Espamer, produced by Nathan's studio, Attic Studios, in Harrisburg, PA.




2) On the second day of Christmas, my editor gave to me, Twisted Sister's - "Heavy Metal Christmas".  I can't help but include the world's most famous heavy metal transvestite's satire of a Christmas classic from the album, Twisted Christmas.  If you are a fan of heavy metal and can afford it, please purchase the entire album on iTunes.  You will certainly enjoy this twisted view of Christmas, particularly the mash between "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" and "We're Not Gonna Take it".



Just in case you're unable to understand all of the words, I've included them below.  This song completes any heavy metal lover's arsenal of Christmas tunes.
On my heavy metal Christmas my true love gave to me,
12 silver crosses
11 black mascaras
10 pairs of platforms
9 tattered t-shirts
8 pentagrams
7 leather jackets
6 cans of hairspray
5 skull earrings
4 quarts of Jack
3 studded belts
2 pairs of spandex pants
and a tattoo of Ozzy!

3) On the third day of Christmas my editor gave to me, Pierce Brochetti's - "Silent Night"
I recently met LA rocker Pierce through Facebook and I would certainly fill amiss if I did not include his instrumental presentation of this wonderful Christmas classic.  Please check out Pierce on iTunes or Reverbnation as he also offers a pretty cool version of Happy Birthday, which shows a bit more of his guitar virtuosity.


.
ComScore

4) On the fourth day of Christmas, my editor gave to me, Trans Siberian Orchestra's - "Carol of the Bells".  Last week, I thoroughly enjoyed the privilege of covering this act on assignment in Tampa , Florida and was able to obtain this video of them performing "Carol of the Bells" with a bit of "God Bless Ye Merry Gentlemen" thrown in.  Please allow this one to soak in and permeate your being.  Nothing in music compares to the spectacular extravaganza displayed by this unique band that blends classical music, heavy metal, and motown.  I still feel goosebumps every time I listen or allow one of their tunes to start playing in my head.




5) On the 5th Day of Christmas my editor gave to me, Bob Marley's - "White Christmas".  Not one of Marley's best, I included this rare recording because of the irony associated with a White Christmas in Kingston.  I would expect more of a green ganga Christmas from the rasta men!




6) On the 6th Day of Christmas, my editor gave to me, Kutless' - "Mary Did You Know".
This tune, originally written by the Gaither's Mark Lowrey, and recorded by Gary Chapman, Rascall Flats, Reba McIntyre, Hayley Westenra, Kenny Rogers, and a huge host of others stands alone as my all time favorite Christmas song.  After listening to this song performed since the early 1990's by many different artists, it still brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it as well as one time that I had to perform it live and became so choked up that I could hardly sing. Please enjoy this rocked up version by Kutless, which is now my favorite rendition.  I'm certainly glad I discovered this version.

 

7) On the 7th Day of Christmas my editor gave to me, Heart's - "Here is Christmas"
This beautiful Christmas tune from Heart's "A Lovemonger's Christmas" surprisingly receives little or no airplay during the holiday season from radio stations that promote Christmas and holiday music.  So please allow yourself to enjoy it here.



8) On the 8th Day of Christmas my editor gave to me, Jars of Clay's  - "Little Drummer Boy".
While "Mary Did You Know" is probably my favorite all-time Christmas song, Jars of Clay is one of my all time favorite bands right up there with Pink Floyd , Yes, Led Zeppelin, and Stevie Ray.  Every year, I look forward to the opportunity of hearing this incredibly unique yet tasteful version of this classic song performed in a way that can only be done by Jars.



9) On the 9th day of Christmas, my editor gave to me, Black Label Society's - "The First Noel".
One man band, Black Label Society, and guitarist for front man Ozzie, the intimidating and scary looking  Zak Wylde, records an unusual and incredibly virtuositous rendition of the First Noel with clear, clean melodies, and blazing signature guitar riffs without Zak's typical overuse of tremolo.  It pleased me to realize that Zak donates every dime from the sale of this tune on iTunes to charity so please step up and buy this one.  The scary man possesses a real heart for humanity.



10) On the 10th Day of Christmas my editor gave to me, Ronnie James Dio's - "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".
Because of it's slightly ominous nature, I debated over including this rendition but when I heard the unaltered words sung by the now deceased accused Satan worshiper, I'm forced to include this one.  The words of this song carry a huge Christian message and I find it amusing being carried by Ronnie James Dio.  Beware members of Westboro Baptist Church in Los Angeles, who protested at his funeral.  As messengers, God has used stutterers, prostitutes, tax collectors, adulterers, murders, and even an ass.  So why not, Ronnie Dio.  I love Tony Iommi on guitar during this one.



11) On the eleventh day of Christmas, my editor gave to me Jethro Tull's - "Greensleeves"
This beautiful rendition from the rock icon featuring the crisp flute playing of Ian Anderson flanked by a full arrary of back up instruments stands tall as a somewhat traditional yet fresh version of a very old classic.



12) On the twelfth day of Christmas my editor gave to me Third Day's - "Do You Here What I Hear"
From a Christmas special from one of today's top grossing Christian Bands, please listen to Mac Powell and Third Day performing a very unique and touching version of another holiday classic.



13) On the thirteenth day of Christmas, my editor gave to me Jeff Taulton's - "The Precious Day." After originally publishing this article including 12 songs corresponding to the twelve days of Christmas I received this one, perhaps the best of all, from my friend Jeff Taulton in Boonsboro, Maryland. Please listen closely as the words say it all!




14) On the fourteenth Day of Christmas my editor gave to me Bon Jovi's - I Wish Every Day Coud Be Like Christmas
After my worst reporting faux pas to date, the incorrect message that Jon Bon Jovi had died earlier today, and out of respect for the man who stands as a rock icon, I'm now adding another song to the list as it keeps growing longer.  Please enjoy this clip as the man who is still alive performs this wonderful original Christmas tune.

No comments: