Saturday, December 10, 2011

Obama'a Golf Swing


I recently received this email from my friend, Matt Romney with the following message:

Since taking office, President Obama has repeatedly promised he would “not rest until every American who is able and ready and willing to work can find a job.” And 1,584 holes of golf later, the President has stayed true to this promise by staying busy on the links.

This figure doesn’t bode well with the twenty-five million Americans who are currently unemployed, underemployed, or have stopped looking for work.


It’s time to have a president whose idea of being “hands on” doesn’t mean getting a better grip on the golf club.

Donate $18 to help me put President Obama on a permanent vacation:



At first glance, this seemed incredulous to me!  With our country in the midst of fiscal and civic ruin, and while fighting wars on two seperate fronts, our beloved leader and Commander-in-Chief gallivants across the green, whacking small, white balls, on our dime and our time, for 1,584 holes smiling the entire time like the Cheshire cat.  This dude hit more holes than Bill Clinton!

Mitt's ad  initially elicited the expected reaction from me.  Our president putts around the course as the country sinks, surrounded by the enormous presence of expense of the Secret Service.  My overactive imagination flashed images of Nero fiddling while Rome burned.



I sat in utter astonishment, then reality sunk in and I simply performed the math.  1,584 divided by 18 holes per round equals 88 rounds of golf.  The President assumed office in January of 2009 which was approximately 148 weeks ago.  So, Barack Obama plays one round of golf on average once every 13 days weeks or approximately twice per month.

Regardless of our opinion of him, it appears to me that the man performing one of the globe's most stressful professions should have an opportunity to unwind and relax on occasion.  Personally, I require much more down time than two rounds of golf per month.

Mitt, will you start attacking him for reading a book, shooting a few hoops, or playing with the kids?  How would you enjoy criticism for running every day or the occasional hunt?

While Barack Obama spent valuable time playing 1,584 holes of golf, Mitt Romney spent a similar amount of time running 3,108 miles.


Mitt, as a hunter, why are you unable to realize the relative ease in finding shots to fire at Obama in regard to a poor understanding of economics, health care reform propaganda, high unemployment, favoring importers over exporters, and the very real likelihood that he is not an natural born citizen of the United States?  Do you really think that you will garner support, in the polls and financially, by attacking golfers, a hobby practiced by a skewed percentage of conservatives?

A country club only a few miles from my house is currently running a pre-season special to attract extra business from non-members.  I believe that rather than sending my $18 to the Romney campaign, I will invest in 18 holes of fun for myself.  And Mitt, if you are counting, that will give me a tally for the year of 54 holes of golf as I have desired to squander my valuable time on motorcycling and playing music!

During my time on the greens, I think I'll focus a bit on the attributes of Michele Bachmann, a woman of impeccable character and integrity, who is in the primaries against you.  I will find it much more difficult to criticize or pick on her but I'm sure I'll find something interesting to write!

No comments: