Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Year in Retrospect 2011


2011 proved itself a difficult year for this particular human being.

First, I found myself confronted by a separation and divorce against my will.  Not that I didn't play my role in the devastation.  I just feel strongly convicted that God intended marriage to be for life. In an attempt to salvage my marriage, I sold my business in a poor economy for way under market value and committed to work for the new owner who proved to be extremely controlling, manipulative, and deceitful.  Not much of a work environment but I learned some lessons the hard way and will forever treat people differently as a result.  Then finally in October, I fell 18' from a ladder while removing an old ceiling fan and spent a week in the hospital with stitches across my face, 14 staples in the back of my head, four broken ribs, a broken clavicle, and a collapsed lung.  One week out of the hospital I returned for surgery to repair my damaged clavicle.  I'm now partially human and partially titanium.

So, I rather candidly admit that 2011 was by far one of my worst years except for all of the hidden blessings that I discovered.  I anxiously await the opportunity in 2012 and beyond to put into practice the lessons I've learned through the mistakes that I've made.

I also utilized my recovery time from the accident to practice blogging, an exercise I totally enjoy, and learn about the whole concept of social media and integrating that into a marketing plan.  So rather than allowing this article to become a palette for my transparency, I will use it to outline my favorite blogger subjects over the past year.



Best Journey - Bike Trip to Daytona
Despite the setbacks, I enjoyed many opportunities to slip away this past year.  I rode my 2007 Harley Ultra Classic to Maryland and back and flew to Seattle to enjoy the annual Bumbershoot festival but all paled in comparison to the joy I experience riding a 1961 Harley panhead FLH from Fort Myers to Daytona to meet friends and relatives from all over to celebrate my 50th birthday!  Thanks again to all who participated.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/10/half-century.html



Biggest Baby - Brian Howe
I found difficulty swallowing the fact that the man who fronted Bad Company for years and delivered such masterpieces as "Holy Water" would resort to childish pranks and name calling after receiving a relatively poor review of his new, self produced EP, Emotions, but that's exactly what happened.  Brian unfriended me on Facebook, attacked me online utilizing several outlets and encouraged others to do the same.  I would have to say that I listened to hundreds of new albums during 2011 and would have to rank "Emotions" in the bottom five.  It's worth buying for the comedic value.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/11/ep-review-brian-howe-emotions.html



Toughest Dude - Kaleb Brown
Autistic 9-year old author Kaleb Brown faces obstacles on a daily basis that some of us cannot imagine and guess what he does?  He deals with it, unlike some pompous, prima donna rock stars.  Kaleb wrote and illustrated a highly imaginative fiction entitled, "The Big M Book One" which serves as a joy to children of all ages.  He has garnered an upcoming audience in front of the Cartoon Network and hopes to see his work as an animated series.  The Big M is available on Amazon.com in hard copy and kindle edition for a very reasonable price.  Please bless a child with this delightful work.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/11/book-review-big-m-by-kaleb-brown.html




Most Gigantic Mistake - Bon Jovi's death
As a fledgling writer, I committed a fatal error on December 19th of this past year.  I picked up on an internet rumor that Jon Bon Jovi died earlier that day and quickly wrote an article about it.  I found thousands of new readers that night but felt guilty over the reason why.  I made phone calls to Bon Jovi's staff and the venue he played that night to confirm my error and updated my story and wrote a complete retraction the following day after I confirmed his performance the prior night.  Jon took everything in stride posing for a quick picture in front of a Christmas Tree holding a sign reading, "Heaven Looks A Lot Like New Jersey" with the date and time.  Just remember that you cannot believe everything you read or hear on the internet!
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/12/jon-bon-jovi-dead-at-49.htmlhttp://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/12/jon-bon-jovi-dead-at-49.html


Best Concert - Trans-Siberian Orchestra


I still find difficulty attempting to describe in words the event know as a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show.  They pull out all stops with a stimulating jolt to all senses brandishing screaming guitars with lights flashing and explosions occuring everywhere.  This is something that you need to see for yourself.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/12/trans-siberian-orchestra-live-in-tampa.html




Craziest Politician - Newt Gingrich
In 2008 when I began blogging, people knew me as critic of politics in general particularly the Obama campaign but recently I've written about real events that get me a bit more excited regarding motorcycles and music.  But I could not help but jump back into the political arena once I discovered that Newt Gingrich used tax payer dollars to pay for anal bleaching.  Then only days later, I discover that he failed to qualify for the Virgina primary.  Folks, there are better choices available.  Look toward Ron Paul and/or Michele Bachmann.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/12/back-to-political-circus.html


Greatest Musical Discovery - Kore Ionz
I discovered tons of new music this past year, attended many concerts, listened to and reviewed a number of new CDs, particularly during my trip in August to Bumbershoot.  Check out this peace loving, immensely talented group of reggae musicians from Seattle.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/11/kore-ionz-world-war-free.html



Best Album and Cover Art - Korn - The Path of Totality
I felt that KoRn stagnated a bit after Head left the band in 2005 to pursue a relationship with God and his daughter.  Then surprisingly Fieldy committed his life to the Lord a few years later although he stayed with the band.  It seemed apparent that the band found themselves in a losing battle with God.  Oh how He works in mysterious ways. After struggling for years to maintain their dwindling popularity, they released this incredible masterpiece, a nu metal / dubstep collaboration with Sonny John Moore better known as Skrillex, as well as other dance music contributors.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/12/album-preview-korn-path-of-totality.html



Next Country Music Star - JJ McCoy
Not particularly a huge country music fan, so whether by accident, coincidence, or divine intervention I developed a new friendship this year with JJ.  Please check out his EP, "Redneck, White and Blue", a three tune offering of tales that paint incredible pictures in your mind and tug at the heart.
http://ramblingsofjohn.blogspot.com/2011/11/ep-review-jj-mccoy-redneck-white-blue.html




Best Unfinished Story - Michele Bachmann
Sadly, I began an article outlining the outstanding character and integrity of Ms. Bachmann but never allowed time to finish it.  I hope to learn more of her and report hopefully not much later than the Iowa Caucus.








No comments: