Wednesday, November 23, 2011

99X-Mas Ball 2011 with Avenged Sevenfold & Hollywood Undead

Although security appeared en masse to banish inappropriate behavior (come on, we're at an Avenged Sevenfold show), camcorders, and to maintain a tight rein and limit on moshing, I believe that most still enjoyed a very pleasurable and unique experience at this year's 99X-Mas Ball. Whether due to poor marketing or a horrible economy, the crowd appeared more sparse than pevious years as the cavernous Germain Arena remained one third empty throughout the evening. With only VIP parking and no back stage pass, I felt somewhat handicapped in my ability to cover the event.

Arriving late still nursing my fractured ribs and clavicle, I must apologize to Black Veil Brides for missing their entire set. As a consolation, at some point in time, I will reach out for a more in depth interview and feature article or review.

Normally, the attire of the crowd hints heavily toward the night's headliner so most fans were decked out with long black hair, dark eye make-up, skinny, tight jeans, and sleeve tattoos much different than the spandex, fish net and teased hair that I encountered at July's Motley Crue show in Tampa.


I walked onto the floor of Germain arena just as the emotional screaming from Asking Alexandria's lead singer, Danny Worsnop erupted. Hailing from York in the UK, this bands displays a brash, fresh, roots level brand of what I would describe as hardcore although I see others decribe their style as metalcore. I know I'm splitting hairs to some degree but I personally don't feel that their muscianship is technically precise or skillful enough to be labelled metalcore. I believe that Asking Alexandria, although energetic, falls one echelon below those playing metal. Personally, I also find it a tad distasteful hearing the enormous amount of expletives emanating from the singer's mouth between songs, primarily based on the fact that he's performing in a genre founded and dominated by Christian acts, although they are not overtly apparent. August Burns Red, Underoath, and Emery will find little competition for record sales from this arrogant bunch of British posers.


After a very brief set and quick turn around, Hollywood Undead took the stage bedizened in over sized rapper hoodies and gaudy Halloween masks based on hockey goal tender designs. This extremely orginal and unique sounding band performs a bizarre mixture of rap, hardcore, screamo, and metal in a formula that ultimately works. After a sweaty three tunes in the costumed adornment, the band stripped down to t-shirts and bare faces and continued to rock the crowd. Mesmerized fans swayed to the groove, butts gyrating and feet stomping as the talented Californians entertained the masses. For those unfamiliar with the sound of Hollywood Undead, they compare to Linkin Park but with a lot more edge and way less bubblegum and whinyness about lost love.

Hollywood Undead finished an enthusiastic set and after an extremely long band turnaround causing much of the crowd's energy, fervor and passion to dissipate, Avenged Sevenfold finally took the stage at approximately 10:30.

Over the past 10 years, I've enjoyed many Avenged Sevenfold shows and I've watched them mature over the years from the Warped Tour Orange County hardcore band to the now more technically flowing, tight licked harmonious guitar wielding, lengthy song writing, pictorially graphic, trend setting metalcore favorites. I watched both Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold emerge almost simutaneously from the Orange County, California metalcore scene and while Atreyu, as accomplished as they are, stagnated, A7X continued to blossom, grow, and flourish. I never tire of watching them play. They produce a high level of energy, backed up with amazingly gifted musicianship and lyrics provoking poweful imagery.
Last night proved no exception as they pumped out tune after tune of harsh yet melodic metal with their trade mark skullbat backdrop spitting fire from it's eyes. I'm continually astonished every time I see or hear guitarists Zacky Vengeance and Synster Gates tear into a long, technically difficult, dexterous, masterful solo in perfect harmony. How do they do it? In my opinion Synster Gates reins as one of current rock's most explosive and talented guitarists. While heavily tatted and muscular singer, M. Shadows fails to astonish with his vocal prowess or aptitude, he captivates the crowd with a high level energetic delivery and proves himself an extremely capable entertainer. Bassist Johnny Christ embellishes the sound with tight low end punchy drive that weaves into the crisp, clear technical savy of the two guitar players. Since the last time I saw the band, original drummer James "The Rev" Sullivan passed due to a deathly mixture of oxycodone and alcohol and I offer my sincere condolences to the remaining members and the Rev's family.
Due to my inability to interview last night, I could not ascertain who filled in on drums last night although I do not believe that it was former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy. Whoever pounded the skins though, no pun intended, did not miss a beat.

I found the 2011 version of 99X's Xmas Ball an extremely entertaining and enjoyable night out primarily influenced by the diversity among this year's line-up. Prior years, many of the bands sounded so similar it was difficult to differentiate between them.


I'm pleased to observe that Avenged Sevenfold's shows continue to improve somewhat as a result of being able to afford incredible stage effects and lighting.

Enjoy the clip below, a collage of music from Hollywood Undead and Avenged Sevenfold, although it is a bit choppy due to some security guard harrassment.

3 comments:

Grim said...

I am a huge fan of HU And A7X, and was wondering when the next hollywood undead concert is and where.

John Hose said...

Thanks for the comment. You can look at their website, http://site.hollywoodundead.com/ for info on upcoming shoes.

thatguy said...

i was right behind that drunk dude that the were harsing