Friday, November 18, 2011

Clavicle Repair - Part 2

On Wednesday, I returned to orthopedic surgeon, Edward Dupay, D.O. for a follow up to the surgery performed on me the prior week in which he repaired my broken clavicle with a titanium plate. As you can see in the detailed x-ray, the plate bridges, straightens, and attaches the two pieces of bone. It flows nicely with the curve of the bone and the screws all seem installed correctly at the proper torque.

According to Dr. Dupay, I appear to be healing nicely and eventually the titanium and bone will integrate. The 2nd through 5th rib below the left clavicle are also broken and according to the adept doctor, there is little that can be done. I must endure the pain until the body heals itself.

As most of my readers probably already realize, this injury has served as a true blessing in disguise. This breaking of my body has led to a breaking in my spirit causing me to slow down considerably and closely examine the priorities in my life. I love the irony knowing that an 18' fall nearly causing death has brought me closer to life. Colors appear brighter, my grandkids laughter sounds musical, and thus far, stress stays at bay.

According to Dr. Dupay, I have another 8 weeks or so to live at this slower life changing pace. I pray that I'm able to maintain it past that but I sure do miss straddling the ole Harley!

No comments: